Maryland House Bill 743 – Yard Waste and Food Residuals Diversion and Infrastructure Task Force, sponsored by Delegate Shane Robinson (District 39), would create a Task Force to identify means to promote investment in infrastructure to expand food waste recovery, evaluate the current recovery of food waste in Maryland, identify opportunities for expansion, and more. The Task Force would report its findings and recommendations to the Governor and the General Assembly. ILSR helped to write the bill and is named as 1 of 20 organizations to be represented on the Task Force.
On February 24th, the bill was heard before the House of Delegates’ Committee on the Environment and Transportation. ILSR arranged the panel of experts to testify at the hearing in Annapolis in support of the bill, which is unopposed.
Testimony and Resources
- Mike Toole, the MD-DC Compost Council (written testimony here)
- Christopher Bradford, Organic Agriculture Recycling
- Brenda Platt, ILSR (written testimony here)
- Vinnie Bevivino, Chesapeake Compost Works (written testimony here)
- Beth LeaMond, Greenbelters for Zero Waste (written testimony here)
- Audio and video of the hearing is available here. See minutes 32:38 – 46:15 for HB 0743 testimony.
- The Montgomery Council Food Council submitted supporting comments (written testimony here)