ILSR is happy and proud to report that we are founding members of the newly launched Chesapeake Sustainable Business Council (CSBC). The CSBC is a business-led educational and advocacy organization whose mission is to promote sustainable business viability, awareness, and impact within the Chesapeake region (MD, DC and VA).
Over the next year CSBC will be developing a sustainable directory to help promote the growing sustainable business community. In its first year, CSBC will direct its focus to a few policy issues that are important to sustainably-focused businesses in the Chesapeake area. Initial policy issues include:
- Fair Minimum Wage in Maryland
- Policies that Protect our Environment
- New Economy Expansion Initiatives
- Corporation Welfare (i.e. ending tax unfair loopholes that overwhelmingly favor big business)
- Alternative Energy Solutions
One of the first priorities will be to support a Fair Minimum Wage in Maryland. The Fair Minimum Wage MD policy proposes to gradually raise the MD and federal minimum wage over three years to at least $10 an hour, and to index it so that it keeps pace with inflation.