Back to top Jump to featured resources
Article filed under Energy, Energy Self-Reliant States

UK Requires Energy Performance Ratings Before Selling Your Home

| Written by John Farrell | No Comments | Updated on Jun 15, 2006 The content that follows was originally published on the Institute for Local Self-Reliance website at

Starting in June 2007, home buyers in England will be able to look at an energy performance certificate [EPC] for the property before they purchase it. The assessment will advise consumers on which energy measures – ranging from insulation to solar panels – could cut carbon emissions from their home and improve their energy rating.

The adoption of this program in the UK will put them out ahead of an EU directive requiring that all homes for sale should have energy certificates as of 2009 [see EU Directive on the Energy Performance of Buildings].

Each home will receive an A to G grade for their home’s energy efficiency and carbon emissions. The certificate will tell them current average costs for heating, hot water and lighting in their home as well as how to cut costs with energy efficiency measures. Below is a sample of a chart that will be included in the report [a complete sample report is available here.]

The EPC will include practical information about a range of economical measures that could be installed. It will also list measures to cut carbon emissions even further such as solar panels or wind turbines, where applicable.


Tags: /

About John Farrell

John Farrell directs the Energy Democracy initiative at the Institute for Local Self-Reliance and he develops tools that allow communities to take charge of their energy future, and pursue the maximum economic benefits of the transition to 100% renewable power. More

Contact John   |   View all articles by John Farrell