On March 4th, Stacy Mitchell participated in a Senate briefing with other leading experts, organizers, and impacted communities to expose the ways monopoly power poses a threat to our democracy, the health of our economy, and our country’s already severe racial disparities.
This is a crucial moment for antitrust nationally, with Congress advancing sweeping antitrust legislation and the Biden administration nominating strong leaders, like Lina Khan, to oversee the regulation of Big Tech. The briefing — co-hosted by Sen. Klobuchar, the Athena coalition, and American Family Voices — showed why we need to rein in monopolies to meet the moment. It also unveiled the latest polling showing widespread support for curbing Amazon’s power.
You can watch the briefing here.
You can find a summary of the polling here.
Along with Mitchell, featured panelists and moderators included:
- Maurice BP-Weeks, Co-Executive Director, Action Center for Race and Economy (ACRE)
- Tyler Hamilton, Amazon warehouse worker at MSP1 and Awood Center member
- An Amazon Third Party Seller / Small Business Owner, Based in Arizona
- Veena Dubal, Professor of Law, UC Hastings Law
- Myaisha Hayes, Campaign Strategies Director, Media Justice
- Celinda Lake, Political Strategist and President, Lake Research Partners
If you like this post, be sure to sign up for the monthly Hometown Advantage newsletter for our latest reporting and research.