Thanks to zero waste campaigner Mal Williams for alerting us to the progress made in Wales, now the second best huosehold waste recycler in the world. The seven keys to success include:
- Mandatory separate collection of key dry recyclable materials.
- Mandatory separate collection of bio waste.
- Statutory targets for rates of recycling or the reduction of unrecycled waste.
- Pay-as-you-throw charges.
- Producer responsibility schemes, where producers fund the collection of key recyclables.
- Taxes on landfill.
- Deposit refund systems.
See link to Guardian in December 11th, 2017 article at https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/11/wales-household-waste-recycling-england.
Photo Credit: Matthew Wilkinson via Flickr (CC 2.0).