Neighborhood Soil Rebuilders Composter Training Program
The Neighborhood Soil Rebuilders (NSR) Composter Training Program trains participants to establish and manage composting projects that both engage and serve their communities. The NSR program was launched by the Institute for Local Self-Reliance and ECO City Farms in 2014 in the Washington, D.C. Metro Region.
Community leaders are needed to install and operate small-scale composting sites at schools, churches, community gardens, farms and other community institutions. These leaders can then teach other community leaders, share lessons learned, and spread enthusiasm for composting. But to succeed, they need training, exposure to best practices and systems, and on-the-ground technical support. The NSR program was designed to meet this need.
The NSR Master Compost course has been replicated in:
The NSR program has been adapted to fit the needs of different communities, from youth leadership training to home composting classes. Examples include:
NSR Capstone Projects
The NSR Master Composter Program facilitates a cultural shift by training community leaders in composting and fostering the development of new community-based composting sites and projects. The result is an ever-growing network of community composters that are sharing their composting knowledge and advancing composting in their communities. Here are a few examples of NSR Capstone Projects:
• The Community Compost Cooperative at Howard University
• NSR Capstone Project Featured in WaPo Article On the Future of Composting in D.C.
• Elsie Whitlow Stokes Public Charter School in D.C.
• Urban Farms in D.C. and Baltimore
• ILSR Partner and Community Composter Featured in DCTV News Spot
• ILSR NSR Program Graduate Featured with D.C. Mayor on Composting at Schools
• Self-Reliance and Transformation Through Community Composting with Corinne Coe-Law
• Pedal-Powered Composters Support The Local Food Movement with Kat Nigro
• Composter Catalyzes a Movement in Her Community with Tiffany Bess
• Creating Community Wealth Through Compost with Sophia Hosain and Guy Schaffer
• Building Local Power Podcast: Composting Cultivates Economic Development
• Building Local Power Podcast: How Community Composting Disrupts Big Waste with Terry Craghead
Interested in bringing the NSR to your community? The NSR Program is available to be licensed, and ILSR is available to consult on replication and adaptation. Learn more here.