If you’d like to read ILSR’s work on Amazon, or hear co-director Stacy Mitchell talking about it, here are a few highlights.
Join us! Go here to join Athena, a new alliance of people who believe that control over our lives, our communities, and our democracy should be in our hands, not Amazon’s. And if you’d like to stay in touch with ILSR’s work, sign up for our Hometown Advantage newsletter for our latest reporting and research.
- Amazon’s Stranglehold: How the Company’s Tightening Grip on the Economy Is Stifling Competition, Eroding Jobs, and Threatening Communities. In this report, we pull back the curtain on the company and find that it’s at the center of increasing inequality and diminishing opportunity, and is concentrating power in ways that endanger competition, community life, and democracy. We also examine how public policy should address Amazon’s high costs. Read the report here.
- Stacy is profiled in the New York Times, where she discusses Amazon’s growing power — and efforts to confront it — in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the article here.
- Stacy appears on MSNBC host Chris Hayes’s podcast, Why Is This Happening?. The two discuss how Amazon came to dominate e-commerce, its now all-encompassing presence in consumer goods, retail, and cloud computing, and its much bigger ambitions. Listen to the podcast here.
- Stacy’s cover piece for the Nation looks at how Amazon is a radically new kind of monopoly with ambitions that dwarf those of earlier empires, and what we should do about it. Read the article here.
- The Sun magazine features Stacy in an extended Q&A about the consequences of Amazon’s tightening grip and what it will take to revive America’s left-behind cities and towns. You can read the full interview here.
- PBS’s Frontline documentary Amazon: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos draws heavily on ILSR’s research and interviews with Stacy Mitchell. The film is a powerful story of Amazon’s power over our economy and, ultimately, our democracy. Watch the documentary here.
- See even more of our Amazon work here.