The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is a 40-year-old national nonprofit organization that challenges concentrated corporate power and provides research and policy models to enable communities to take charge of their local economies and build a more equitable and environmentally sound future. ILSR has a staff of 12 with offices in Minneapolis, MN; Portland, Maine; and Washington, DC.
ILSR is seeking a Director of Development, based in any of our three offices.
Reporting to ILSR’s Co-Directors, the Director of Development will be responsible for leading ILSR’s fund development strategy, setting and achieving fundraising benchmarks, engaging supporters, and establishing new relationships with prospective funders. The Director of Development will collaborate closely with ILSR’s Initiative (Program) Directors to jointly develop proposals and execute fundraising strategies.
- Develop and implement an overall fundraising plan for the organization with specific benchmarks.
- Work with the finance team to develop and track core and growth budgets.
- Provide guidance on fund development and program priorities and strategy.
- Be responsible for and oversee all development work, including meeting reporting and proposal deadlines.
- Identify prospective foundation donors, set up meetings with ILSR staff, and work with ILSR’s program staff to develop and write grant proposals.
- Work with ILSR staff to deepen stewardship across all funding sectors and develop new strategies for financial support.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit major individual donors.
- Represent ILSR’s mission and work at key conferences and meetings.
- Supervise part-time support staff to ensure the timely maintenance of development tracking systems.
Key Qualifications & Skills:
- 3+ years nonprofit development experience.
- Strong background in foundation fundraising and demonstrated success securing foundation grants
- Exceptional writing skills, including the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and compelling way.
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Computer and web savvy.
ILSR provides a competitive salary and compensation package including health insurance, paid vacation, and a retirement plan.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and two writing samples reflecting your original work to email@example.com. The subject line should read “Director of Development Application.” No phone calls, please.