Various Media Outlets, February 2013
ILSR’s annual Independent Business Survey gathers data from thousands of locally owned, independent businesses across the country. The 2013 Independent Business Survey, gathered data from 2,377 independent businesses across 50 states and the District of Columbia. Among its findings:
- Survey respondents reported revenue growth of 6.8% on average. More than two-thirds experienced revenue growth in 2012 — a larger share than in our 2011 and 2010 surveys.
- Independent businesses in communities with an active “buy local first” initiative run by a local business organization reported average revenue growth of 8.6% in 2012, compared to 3.4% for those in areas without such an initiative.
- Among survey respondents in cities with a “buy local first” initiative, 75% reported that the initiative had had a positive impact on their business.
- “Showrooming” — i.e., customers examining products and seeking information in local stores and then buying online — was identified by independent retailers as one of their biggest challenges. More than 80% said showrooming was affecting their business, with 47% describing the impact as “moderate” or “significant.”
- Lack of financing was another top challenge, with 23% businesses surveyed reporting that they had been unable to secure a needed bank loan for their business in the last two years.
Here are recent media hits covering our 2013 Independent Business Survey.
- Do ‘buy local’ campaigns really work? - Albuquerque Business First, February 7, 2013
- The Buzz – Albany Times-Union – February 10, 2013
- Shoppers growing warmer on buying local – Mother Nature Network, February 11, 2013
- Business groups encourage all residents to shop local – Daytona Beach News-Journal, February 9, 2013
- Survey finds independent businesses benefit from “Buy Local First” – Kids Today, February 8, 2013
- Survey shows buy local success – Office Products International, February 8, 2013
- Indie Businesses Reap Rewards of ‘Buy Local’ – Business News Daily, February 8, 2013
- Survey Confirms Benefits of “Buy Local First” Campaigns, Finds Challenges Ahead – Book Web, February 8, 2013